Date(s) - 09/08/2019
3:15 pm - 4:00 pm
Number of Attendees: 12
In addition to the below, we are preparing you to be more comfortable standing up in front of people to play as members of the Northern Virginia Ukulele Society (Margaret Schweinhaut Senior Center end of Summer Ice Cream Social & Ono Brewing Co. Anniversary Luau are the big ones). The Fall 2019 set list is below (so yes, you have to scroll past the main material for the Primer). It will also be covered Society’s group lesson immediately following the 2nd Sunday NVUS Primer.
Description: This Society meeting is a primer for our Society’s beginners. It may sometimes seems daunting to the very novice, but hang in there. Lots of help is all around you. While there is always a main Society instructor on the stage, there are other more advanced Society members to help the main instructor. Moses Kamai is the main Society instructor who has David Bartell, Christy Kinder, Larry Burke, Jessica Suchecki, and others help and sometimes lead lessons. Any one of the these may lead this Society meeting. When available, they will also help those attending this session practice the signature songs using these basic chords. It will start 45 min before any of our main scheduled meetings (e.g. 2nd Sunday NVUS Group Lessons or 4th Sunday NVUS Jams).
Suggested readings (study material before any NVUS Primer or Lesson Meetings):
- Lesson Package 01: at a minimum (click here).
- Lesson Packages 02 and 03: these basically are the same as 01 but in the keys of F and G, respectively (click here for lesson 2 and here for lesson 3)
- Strums and Rhythms cheat sheets [basically any cheat sheet or primer in the File Folder – Lesson Pamphlets, Booklets, and Sheets are useful for a Primer: //www.nova-uke.org/downloads/#63-lesson-pamphlets-booklets-sheets –> click here]
- NVUS Songbook Chord (progression) [basically a songbook crib sheet of chords — still need a chord chart or chord book if you don’t know the chords — best is to look at your other Society member’s hands and maybe ask them later: To go to the folder click here]
- Scales: See the Lesson Packages which have scales C, F, and G as part of the lesson.
- Basic major and 7th chords: used many of the jams songs, but in all of our signature songs, and practice exercises. (TBP – to be published)
- Chorded Scales: In the key of C – C, G7, C, F, C5, F, G7, C representing the harmony (chords) for the notes sung as do, re, mi, fa, and so on. (See the Lesson Packages which have scales C, F, and G as part of the lesson)
- Harmonized Chorded Scales: In the key of C – C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bdim, C representing the harmony (chords) for the scale notes. (See the Lesson Packages which have scales C, F, and G as part of the lesson)
Bookings are closed for this event.
- Moses Kamai
- Jane Winchester
- Annette Delgado
- David Bartell
- Eric R
- Alan Cyr
- John Dodds
- Lauraileen O'Connor
- Paul Bigelman
- Ellen Mahan
- Catherine Miranda