Date(s) - 11/10/2019
3:15 pm - 4:00 pm
Number of Attendees: 20
In addition to the below, we are preparing you to be more comfortable standing up in front of people to play as members of the Northern Virginia Ukulele Society Holiday Showcase in December. The Holiday Set List is to be published. For now, use last year’s to get you started. It will also be covered Society’s group lesson immediately following the 2nd Sunday NVUS Primer.
Description: This Society meeting is a primer for our Society’s beginners. It may sometimes seems daunting to the very novice, but hang in there. Lots of help is all around you. While there is always a main Society instructor on the stage, there are other more advanced Society members to help the main instructor. Moses Kamai is the main Society instructor who has David Bartell, Christy Kinder, Larry Burke, Jessica Suchecki, and others help and sometimes lead lessons. Any one of the these may lead this Society meeting. When available, they will also help those attending this session practice the signature songs using these basic chords. It will start 45 min before any of our main scheduled meetings (e.g. 2nd Sunday NVUS Group Lessons or 4th Sunday NVUS Jams).
Suggested readings (study material before any NVUS Primer or Lesson Meetings):
- Lesson Package 01: at a minimum (click here).
- Lesson Packages 02 and 03: these basically are the same as 01 but in the keys of F and G, respectively (click here for lesson 2 and here for lesson 3)
- Strums and Rhythms cheat sheets [basically any cheat sheet or primer in the File Folder – Lesson Pamphlets, Booklets, and Sheets are useful for a Primer: //www.nova-uke.org/downloads/#63-lesson-pamphlets-booklets-sheets –> click here]
- NVUS Songbook Chord (progression) [basically a songbook crib sheet of chords — still need a chord chart or chord book if you don’t know the chords — best is to look at your other Society member’s hands and maybe ask them later: To go to the folder click here]
- Scales: See the Lesson Packages which have scales C, F, and G as part of the lesson.
- Basic major and 7th chords: used many of the jams songs, but in all of our signature songs, and practice exercises. (TBP – to be published)
- Chorded Scales: In the key of C – C, G7, C, F, C5, F, G7, C representing the harmony (chords) for the notes sung as do, re, mi, fa, and so on. (See the Lesson Packages which have scales C, F, and G as part of the lesson)
- Harmonized Chorded Scales: In the key of C – C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bdim, C representing the harmony (chords) for the scale notes. (See the Lesson Packages which have scales C, F, and G as part of the lesson)
Don’t forget to bring your Holiday Songbook — current version is 5.0. Check out recent newsletter for all the links in the resources section. Below is the set list for the upcoming Holiday Showcases.
NVUS 2019 Reston Town Centre Holiday Showcase Set List
|Song||Lead / Notes||p.||Video|
|Winter Wonderland||Play staccato for beginning verses
If there is a solo, played with same notes as chord.
|Angels We Have Heard On High||Moses – Intro is whole first verse Only 1st verse is unison, rest of the song is sung in harmony if you can||1||//youtu.be/s5UrA5i3ieA|
|O Little Town of Bethlehem||David (Backup: Moses)||27||//youtu.be/iPifKaX9faY|
|I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas||David / Moses jazz intro [?]||12||//youtu.be/yHZZ-MhIDpA|
|Deck the Halls||Moses or David Leads||5||//youtu.be/qQ_JbXcuoTU|
|Jingle Bell Rock / Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree||Moses or David leads but all sing||17||//youtu.be/T8NBNthpLRI|
|Blue Christmas||Solo lead sings 1st verse solo, then all sing next two, then instrumental, then all sing last two, tag last line.||3||//youtu.be/5HYvTP16qwI|
|I’ll Be Home For Christmas||First time through – Moses sings solo. Second time through – hum or Ooohh from “I’ll” to “presents under the tree”. You can play a 7th chord rather than the 9th.||11||//youtu.be/7AZtA3Fwshw|
|God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman||Moses (David on Dec 5) Clap to rhythm if you’re having trouble playing chords||7||//youtu.be/n8Ed0fFe58I|
|In the Bleak Midwinter||(Tentative Song) David or Moses solo intro and turn-arounds Don’t play the ‘F’ chord with Janet’s instrumental turn-arounds – They are above “… age …” and “… heart …” (4th and 8th lines)||13||//youtu.be/E2pSd9gLPMo|
|Away in a Manger||Moses Leads (back up: David)||2||//youtu.be/ZKQmmx0-LgU|
|Jingle Bells / Mele Kalikimaka||Don’t stop playing between songs, continuous medley||19||//youtu.be/2iUYeg2hzAk|
|Here Comes Santa in Red Canoe||Moses leads||9||//youtu.be/6ypsHzwYR14|
|Jolly Old Saint Nicholas||Moses Solo on slow line “When the clock is striking twelve, when I’m fast asleep” Chords for that phrase are singe down strums. Everyone joins back in after that line Instrumental end of 2nd verse: Moses or David Tag and repeat last phrase of last line… as solo by the lead||21||TBP|
|Little Drummer Boy||(Tentative Song) Rhythm: staccato down strums only||23||//youtu.be/A-dMqv8LltQ|
|It Came Upon a Midnight Clear||Moses or David Leads Video has 3 verses – See sheet on arrangement – Solo singer verse 1, Solo Instrumental, all sing on ending of instrumental verse, all sing verse 3. Tag 3 times||15||//youtu.be/A2jvIopEPFE|
|Mary’s Boy Child||Moses solo 1st verse Sing rest of song as written||25||//youtu.be/Knn2FP_rt64|
|What Child Is This?||Moses [REMEMBER TO NOT START SO FAST]||35||//youtu.be/6rgog7b5IDg|
|Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer||Moses or David Leads – Intro is a Solo; All come in “Rudolph” — sing 2 times; 2nd time with echo phrases||28||//youtu.be/2pJEfhQYRNw|
|Silent Night||Hawaiian, German: Moses leads
Spanish: Gwen or David leads
Others can/should join the languages, if they know the language well Key C
|Feliz Navidad||Moses / David Leads||6||//youtu.be/Q2jVlxNnMbo|
Wish You a Merry Christmas
|Moses OR David Leads||33||//youtu.be/bSmJCB-H9v8|
Bookings are closed for this event.
- Moses Kamai
- David Bartell
- Donna Cozart
- Terry Durst
- Pat Schneider
- Alexandra Foster
- Priscilla Hoffman-Stowe
- Dianne Rambo
- Mary Polydys
- Paul Dunham
- Barbara Weigand
- Shima Vosti
- Daniel Aloisi
- Paul Vosti
- Mary Kay Stine
- Rebecca Eng
- Jane Winchester
I will be attending.