Date(s) - 04/08/2018
3:15 pm - 4:00 pm
Number of Attendees: 18
Description: This Society meeting is a primer for our Society’s beginners. It may sometimes seems daunting to the very novice, but hang in there. Lots of help is all around you. While Moses is the main instructor, Dave B. and Sandy O. have volunteered as an assistant instructors who also sometimes lead lessons. Any one of the 3 may lead this Society meeting They’ll also help those attending this session practice the signature songs using these basic chords. It will start 45 min before any of our main scheduled meetings (e.g. 2nd Sunday NVUS Group Lessons or 4th Sunday NVUS Jams).
- Lesson Package 01: at a minimum
- Lesson Packages 02 and 03: these basically are the same as 01 but in the keys of F and G, respectively
- Strums and Rhythms cheat sheets
- Scales: certainly C scale but may also cover scales in F and G.
- Basic major and 7th chords: used many of the jams songs, but in all of our signature songs, and practice exercises.
- Chorded Scales: In the key of C – C, G7, C, F, C5, F, G7, C representing the harmony (chords) for the notes sung as do, re, mi, fa, and so on
- Harmonized Chorded Scales: In the key of C – C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bdim, C representing the harmony (chords) for the scale notes.
Bookings are closed for this event.
- Larry and Linda Burke
- Bob Gibson
- Sandy O'Shea
- Moses Kamai
- Paul Bigelman
- Christy Kinder
- Grace Terzian
- Alan Cyr
- Carol Dexter
- Annette Delgado
Great NVUS meeting. Attendance 25
Lots of covered material.
1) Reviewed scale, chorded scale, and harmonized scale in the key of C. Of course we did the exercises you all are getting used to: group scale note playing creating a group chord.
2) Basic strums: Straight 4’s (S4), Straight 8’s (S8), paced strums like S8 skipping over beats 2 and 4 (DuxuDuxu) then S8 skipping 1 and 3 (xuDuxuDu) — and when played simultaneously by the entire attending membership, creates a sound that seems like a sound motion of waves.
Please bring your Patriotic Song Book (ver 3.0). We will review the Military Tribute Medley arrangements, rhythm (strum), and how they are connected.
Here is the link to the folder that hosts our song books (click here): https://www.nova-uke.org/downloads/#44-nvus-official-song-books