Date(s) - 01/28/2018
4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Number of Attendees: 19
This is a regular monthly meeting; so, come one, come all — beginners, too. RSVP early or as soon as you know you can make it.
NVUS Song books are online in our file folders. These are arrangements specifically for NVUS use at jams and performances.
- Admin/Announcements: We will try to do admin (like go over uke fest and upcoming concerts, workshops, etc.) at the very beginning; and a reminder at the end.
- Society members led songs: Make sure you bring copies up to the front table that is reserved for the NVUS jam leader and sound lead. Minimum copies should be around 15 (~1 per table). Ideally, 1 per person. Optimally, 75% of those who RSVP’d. Remember to post your song to the Society files (“Monthly Jams Folder”).
- Signature songs: Will be played some time during the entire jams meeting. In general, you can count on Sweet Wahine being the last song we play. Since every one is warmed up and bashfulness tossed aside, should get more solo players, right?
Society Member Led Songs:
- Know your song enough — this isn’t lessons but a jam session. Also, you “CAN” just jump into a song, but a well led song has generally 3 parts: An Intro, The song, and the ending/outro. Think about and give attending advanced and intermediate members a chance to solo in your song — if you’re comfortable with it.
- Help your fellow members — announce the key, progression if you know it, strum if you can describe it (e.g. Calypso/Do Wop – DxDUxUDU, etc).
- Help for You — There are always some brave Society members who would help, if you ask. If you want back up (UBass, Fills/Breaks, Harmony singing), it would be nice for you to pre-coordinate — but ask the leads, they might be able to wing it that day.
NVUS Leaders/Teachers Led Songs:
- Typically out of The Society song books — most common are Fox on the Run, Shady Grove, Molokai Slide, 5 foot 2, The Lion Sleeps Tonight, NVUS Banana Boat Song, My Little Grass Shack, and Under the Boardwalk, to name a few
- Lesson Exercise Songs — could be any one of the songs used in group lessons. These are usually found in the NVUS Jams Catalog
- Same as Society Member Led Songs — see above.
Key to jams — Keep it simple, simple, simple; and play, play, play — and most of all
Bookings are closed for this event.
- Larry and Linda Burke
- Moses Kamai
- Sandy O'Shea
- Bob Gibson
- Quang Tran
- Lauraileen O'Connor
- David Bartell
- Jean M. Johnson
- Manuel Vera
- Faith Van Wig
- Pat Joyner
- Rick Weise
- Alan Cyr
- Brian Owsenek
- Jennifer Thompson
Don’t forget Jams and Songs this weekend! Bring some tunes you want to lead. If you have it electronic, please send them to me to post on our website (future fix to web site: you can self post). In any case, please bring sufficient hard copies.
Word of advice/recommendation on leading songs (and don’t be bashful): tell everyone the name of the song, the key you’re in, and the strum you like them to play. If you can practice it before hand, set up the song with an introduction (music intro that is), the song, and finish with an outro. If you don’t mind (it’s your song you’re leading), give those who can an opportunity to solo/break/instrumental on your song.
I’m not sure where to post an electronic version. but the link to the pdf is here: http://stewartgreenhill.com/ukulele/TheBareNecessities.pdf
How many should I print to bring?
Hello Faith. This is fine here but will grab it and post to our Monthly Jams folder. Haven’t figured out how to fix our file manager on our website yet. Eventually will. If not like this, you can always email it to info@NoVA-Uke.org and I can pick it up there to post to the folder.
I’d also bring about 25 copies. If that’s not sufficient, they can share at the tables, as I suspect there will be closer to 30 attending — not everyone has RSVP that have suggested they were coming.
I have the copies to bring tomorrow! Thank you for your help!
I’m working on a couple songs to share with the group.
Manuel, that’s cool and fantastic! Always love your arrangements. Dave and I are always ready to back you up on stage when you lead them. Sent you an email on instructions since our file manager isn’t working quite right yet. Still working on it so you can post it yourself.