Date(s) - 12/20/2020
4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Number of Attendees: 5
PSA: Until we have a clear indication of conducting our regularly scheduled meetings at Ono Brewing Co., we will continue to have our meetings virtually. NVUS Primer’s and Lesson’s for Society members will be conducted via Zoom. Jams will be open to the public and streamed Live via YouTube. NVUS Open Mic will be conducted using a combination of technologies and streamed on Facebook Live.
ONLINE: Here is the link to attend and watch the open mic on Facebook Live on the NVUS Facebook page — please RSVP whether attending or performing: (click here).
Performers: The Zoom ID will be provided directly to you as well as non-Society members via email. Open Mic is streamed from our Zoom Open Mic room to the Facebook Live.
A Northern Virginia Ukulele Society (NVUS) monthly hosted meeting where Society members and the public ukulele aficionados can excel!
All instruments welcome but the ukulele must be present and played!
Since this is your home turf, it affords Society members to practice being on a stage as a soloist, duo/duet, trio, or larger. Preference is less than 5 because of stage size. BUT… NVUS Beginner’s are encouraged to sign up — if you like to get feedback (stage coaching), let the NVUS MC know. They will alert the advanced or performers in the line up to assist in “stage coaching.“
Even if you don’t want to perform, come hear your fellow members who do brave the stage. Encourage them or stay to learn what they do to be on stage, how they have arranged their music for performance, and the tools they use to help embellish the song.
At this ukulele open mic, you can count on the standard co-hosts, Moses K. and David B. Occasionally we may have other Society members host as the month’s MC. We’ll even back you on request as long as we have your lead sheet (chord sheet) ahead of time (usually at least a week).
NVUS Open Mic Rules:
- Three (3) songs or 10 minute limit per signed up set.
- Multiple sign ups are allowed if time permits. We have a hard stop at 6PM.
- Sign up sheet will generally be on the society table (usually near the front). Please keep this table clear for the Society leaders, sound engineer, or MC.
- NVUS Open Mic MC or host will arrange the line up — check to order board to see when you perform in the line up. Generally, the stack is beginners first and advanced or performers last. If the Ensemble performs, they will open the open mic.
- NVUS Open Mic MC will introduce you or your group. The name of the person or group will be introduced when they are ready to play. Performers should always announce their songs.
- Music stands, stools, and mikes will be available. Mic’s will be for vocals (of course)… unless its an ukulele instrumental solo (no singing). So sing if you like, or not.
Let’s Have some Fun! Enjoy the Music and Camaraderie!
History of NVUS Open Mic
Northern Virginia Ukulele Society (NVUS – pun pronunciation is to say eNVy-US) started the monthly ukulele open mic at Creme Café more than 11 years ago (Jun 2009) and at Café Montmartre for more than 10 years (Oct 2010). Now, the open mic is held at Ono Brewing Company, a gracious sponsor who provides us space so ukers who want to get up on our makeshift stage and sit in front of a mic to sing a few tunes while playing their ukulele. The monthly ukulele open mic is open to the general public and starts at 4pm – all instruments welcome as long as they accompany or have ukulele’s included in their songs. So, bring on your songs!
Bookings are closed for this event.
- Moses Kamai
- Jan deHoll
- Larry and Linda Burke
- David Bartell
Thank you all who hung out through the troubling end. Lots of tech issues, again. Always something new and different every month. Hopefully better next month. But the line up is great!
Today’s line up:
1. Michael Bauer (VA)
2. Jan deHoll (VA)
3. Annette Rodrigues (CA)
4. Rivkah Bryk (VA)
5. Al Tringali (RI)
6. Tara Trinity (DC)
7. Alika Kaeka (WA)
8. Keale Kapuna (HI)
please note time change!!!
Time changed back to original time!!! 4-6pm EST