This is a regular monthly meeting; so, come one, come all — beginners, too. RSVP early or as soon as you know you can make it — even after the event to ensure proper headcount.
PSA: We are now meeting in person at Ono Brewing Company’s Offshore facility. We will do our best to do both Live and Virtual (Zoom) — focus will be on the LIVE. Same Zoom link as shown here for those wishing to continue via Zoom. Otherwise, see really hope to see you at Ono Offshore.
Attend smartly. Please respect others around you is all we ask. This location can seat about 50 plus the support staff and NVUS leadership. We’ll give you as much space as we can given the space we use for both stage and Audio-Visual gear.
NVUS Primer’s and Lesson’s for Society members will be conducted via Zoom using different Zoom ID links. Group Lessons, Jams and Open Mic are also live and virtual — focus on the live. See the event on the schedule for details.
ONLINE: This Society Jams & Songs is Live and on Zoom is for Society members. Focus is on group fun, hopefully getting ready to do Society events like performing at the Adult Assisted Living facilities. If you prefer to attend virtually, click this link to be taken to the meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89396404499?pwd=UkJPK0JVR00wVUp5QjlvWFNNNEZvZz09
NVUS Song books are online in our file folders. These are arrangements specifically for NVUS use at jams and performances.
- Admin/Announcements: We will try to do admin (like go over uke fest and upcoming concerts, workshops, etc.) at the very beginning; and a reminder at the end.
- Society members led songs: Make sure you bring copies up to the front table that is reserved for the NVUS jam leader and sound lead. Minimum copies should be around 15 (~1 per table). Ideally, 1 per person. Optimally, 75% of those who RSVP’d. Remember to post your song to the Society files (“Monthly Jams Folder”).
- Signature songs: Will be played some time during the entire jams meeting. In general, you can count on Sweet Wahine being the last song we play. Since every one is warmed up and bashfulness tossed aside, should get more solo players, right?
Society Member Led Songs:
- Know your song enough — this isn’t lessons but a jam session. Also, you “CAN” just jump into a song, but a well led song has generally 3 parts: An Intro, The song, and the ending/outro. Think about and give attending advanced and intermediate members a chance to solo in your song — if you’re comfortable with it.
- Help your fellow members — announce the key, progression if you know it, strum if you can describe it (e.g. Calypso/Do Wop – DxDUxUDU, etc).
- Help for You — There are always some brave Society members who would help, if you ask. If you want back up (UBass, Fills/Breaks, Harmony singing), it would be nice for you to pre-coordinate — but ask the leads, they might be able to wing it that day.
NVUS Leaders/Teachers Led Songs:
- Typically out of The Society song books — most common are Fox on the Run, Shady Grove, Molokai Slide, 5 foot 2, The Lion Sleeps Tonight, NVUS Banana Boat Song, My Little Grass Shack, and Under the Boardwalk, to name a few
- Lesson Exercise Songs — could be any one of the songs used in group lessons. These are usually found in the NVUS Jams Catalog
- Same as Society Member Led Songs — see above.
Key to jams — Keep it simple, simple, simple; and play, play, play — and most of all
RSVPs are closed for this event.