Date(s) - 04/23/2023
4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Number of Attendees: 2
PSA: We are meeting in person now at Ono Brewing Co. Offshore until a change occurs. We really hope to see you at Ono’s Offshore.
Attend smartly. Respect others around you is all we ask. We can comfortably seat up to 40 members.
A Northern Virginia Ukulele Society (NVUS) monthly hosted meeting where Society members and the public ukulele aficionados can excel!
All instruments welcome but the ukulele must be present and played!
Since this is your home turf, it affords Society members to practice being on a stage as a soloist, duo/duet, trio, or larger. Preference is less than 5 because of stage size. BUT… NVUS Beginner’s are encouraged to sign up — if you like to get feedback (stage coaching), let the NVUS MC know. They will alert the advanced or performers in the line up to assist in “stage coaching.“
Even if you don’t want to perform, come hear your fellow members who do brave the stage. Encourage them or stay to learn what they do to be on stage, how they have arranged their music for performance, and the tools they use to help embellish the song.
At this ukulele open mic, you can count on the standard co-hosts, Moses K. and David B. Occasionally we may have other Society members host as the month’s MC. We’ll even back you on request as long as we have your lead sheet (chord sheet) ahead of time (usually at least a week).
NVUS Open Mic Rules:
- Three (3) songs or 10 minute limit per signed up set.
- Multiple sign ups are allowed if time permits. We have a hard stop at 6PM.
- Sign up sheet will generally be on the society table (usually near the front). Please keep this table clear for the Society leaders, sound engineer, or MC.
- NVUS Open Mic MC or host will arrange the line up — check to order board to see when you perform in the line up. Generally, the stack is beginners first and advanced or performers last. If the Ensemble performs, they will open the open mic.
- NVUS Open Mic MC will introduce you or your group. The name of the person or group will be introduced when they are ready to play. Performers should always announce their songs.
- Music stands, stools, and mikes will be available. Mic’s will be for vocals (of course)… unless its an ukulele instrumental solo (no singing). So sing if you like, or not.
Let’s Have some Fun! Enjoy the Music and Camaraderie!
History of NVUS Open Mic
Northern Virginia Ukulele Society (NVUS – pun pronunciation is to say eNVy-US) started the monthly ukulele open mic at Creme Café more almost 14 years ago (Jun 2009) and at Café Montmartre for more than 12 years (Oct 2010). Now, the open mic is held at Ono Brewing Company since Jan 2019, a gracious sponsor. Even with the COVID Pandemic of 2019-2021, the Society has had mix of virtual and live. Ono Brewing Company provides us space for the Society to operate a makeshift stage and allow members and the general public be in front of a mic to sing a few tunes while playing their ukulele. The monthly ukulele open mic starts at 4pm – all instruments welcome as long as they accompany or have ukulele’s included in their songs. So, bring on your songs!
Bookings are closed for this event.
- David Bartell
- Susan Pauly