Date(s) - 12/15/2019
2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Number of Attendees: 8
We’ve moved venues!!!! We’re now at Ono Brewing Company, our new sponsor! Please bring chair and music stand. Park on the side and come into the brewing side of Ono.
PLUS It’s our Holiday Party during the Jams and Songs — bring smiles, chairs, music stand, and of course music and your uke. This is after our last Society RTC Holiday Showcase.
This is a regular monthly meeting; so, come one, come all — beginners, too. RSVP early or as soon as you know you can make it.
NVUS Song books (Main, Tall Oaks, and Holiday Music) are online in our file folders. These are arrangements specifically for NVUS use at jams and performances.
- Admin/Announcements: We will try to do admin (like go over uke fest and upcoming concerts, workshops, etc.) at the very beginning; and a reminder at the end.
- Society members led songs: Make sure you bring copies up to the front table that is reserved for the NVUS jam leader and sound lead. Minimum copies should be around 15 (~1 per table). Ideally, 1 per person. Optimally, 75% of those who RSVP’d. Remember to post your song to the Society files (“Monthly Jams Folder”).
- Signature songs: Will be played some time during the entire jams meeting. In general, you can count on Sweet Wahine being the last song we play. Since every one is warmed up and bashfulness tossed aside, should get more solo players, right?
Society Member Led Songs:
- Know your song enough — this isn’t lessons but a jam session. Also, you “CAN” just jump into a song, but a well led song has generally 3 parts: An Intro, The song, and the ending/outro. Think about and give attending advanced and intermediate members a chance to solo in your song — if you’re comfortable with it.
- Help your fellow members — announce the key, progression if you know it, strum if you can describe it (e.g. Calypso/Do Wop – DxDUxUDU, etc).
- Help for You — There are always some brave Society members who would help, if you ask. If you want back up (UBass, Fills/Breaks, Harmony singing), it would be nice for you to pre-coordinate — but ask the leads, they might be able to wing it that day.
NVUS Leaders/Teachers Led Songs:
- Typically out of The Society song books — most common are Fox on the Run, Shady Grove, Molokai Slide, 5 foot 2, The Lion Sleeps Tonight, NVUS Banana Boat Song, My Little Grass Shack, and Under the Boardwalk, to name a few
- Lesson Exercise Songs — could be any one of the songs used in group lessons. These are usually found in the NVUS Jams Catalog
- Same as Society Member Led Songs — see above.
Key to jams — Keep it simple, simple, simple; and play, play, play — and most of all
In addition to your other songbook material, don’t forget to bring your Holiday Songbook — current version is 5.0. Check out recent newsletter for all the links in the resources section. Below is the set list for the upcoming Holiday Showcases.
NVUS 2019 Reston Town Centre Holiday Showcase Set List
|Song||Lead / Notes||p.||Video|
|Winter Wonderland||Play staccato for beginning verses
If there is a solo, played with same notes as chord.
|Angels We Have Heard On High||Moses – Intro is whole first verse Only 1st verse is unison, rest of the song is sung in harmony if you can||1||//youtu.be/s5UrA5i3ieA|
|O Little Town of Bethlehem||David (Backup: Moses)||27||//youtu.be/iPifKaX9faY|
|I’m Dreaming of a White Christmas||David / Moses jazz intro [?]||12||//youtu.be/yHZZ-MhIDpA|
|Deck the Halls||Moses or David Leads||5||//youtu.be/qQ_JbXcuoTU|
|Jingle Bell Rock / Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree||Moses or David leads but all sing||17||//youtu.be/T8NBNthpLRI|
|God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman||Moses (David on Dec 5) Clap to rhythm if you’re having trouble playing chords||7||//youtu.be/n8Ed0fFe58I|
|Away in a Manger||Moses Leads (back up: David)||2||//youtu.be/ZKQmmx0-LgU|
|Jingle Bells / Mele Kalikimaka||Don’t stop playing between songs, continuous medley||19||//youtu.be/2iUYeg2hzAk|
|Here Comes Santa in Red Canoe||Moses leads||9||//youtu.be/6ypsHzwYR14|
|Jolly Old Saint Nicholas||Moses Solo on slow line “When the clock is striking twelve, when I’m fast asleep” Chords for that phrase are singe down strums. Everyone joins back in after that line Instrumental end of 2nd verse: Moses or David Tag and repeat last phrase of last line… as solo by the lead||21||TBP|
|It Came Upon a Midnight Clear||Moses or David Leads Video has 3 verses – See sheet on arrangement – Solo singer verse 1, Solo Instrumental, all sing on ending of instrumental verse, all sing verse 3. Tag 3 times||15||//youtu.be/A2jvIopEPFE|
|Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer||Moses or David Leads – Intro is a Solo; All come in “Rudolph” — sing 2 times; 2nd time with echo phrases||28||//youtu.be/2pJEfhQYRNw|
|Silent Night||Hawaiian, German: Moses leads
Spanish: Gwen or David leads
Others can/should join the languages, if they know the language well Key C
|Feliz Navidad||Moses / David Leads||6||//youtu.be/Q2jVlxNnMbo|
Wish You a Merry Christmas
|Moses OR David Leads||33||//youtu.be/bSmJCB-H9v8|
Bookings are closed for this event.
- Larry and Linda Burke
- Bob Gibson
- Rebecca Eng
- Catherine Miranda
- Moses Kamai
- Alan Cyr
- Linda B.