Date(s) - 11/25/2018
3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Number of Attendees: 24
This is NOT a regular monthly meeting; We’re 10 years old this month — time to Celebrate!!!!!
so, come one, come all — beginners, too.
RSVP early or as soon as you know you can make it.
NVUS Song books are online in our file folders. These are arrangements specifically for NVUS use at jams and performances.
- Admin/Announcements: We will try to do admin (like go over uke fest and upcoming concerts, workshops, etc.) at the very beginning; and a reminder at the end.
- Society members led songs: Make sure you bring copies up to the front table that is reserved for the NVUS jam leader and sound lead. Minimum copies should be around 15 (~1 per table). Ideally, 1 per person. Optimally, 75% of those who RSVP’d. Remember to post your song to the Society files (“Monthly Jams Folder”).
- Signature songs: Will be played some time during the entire jams meeting. In general, you can count on Sweet Wahine being the last song we play. Since every one is warmed up and bashfulness tossed aside, should get more solo players, right?
Society Member Led Songs:
- Know your song enough — this isn’t lessons but a jam session. Also, you “CAN” just jump into a song, but a well led song has generally 3 parts: An Intro, The song, and the ending/outro. Think about and give attending advanced and intermediate members a chance to solo in your song — if you’re comfortable with it.
- Help your fellow members — announce the key, progression if you know it, strum if you can describe it (e.g. Calypso/Do Wop – DxDUxUDU, etc).
- Help for You — There are always some brave Society members who would help, if you ask. If you want back up (UBass, Fills/Breaks, Harmony singing), it would be nice for you to pre-coordinate — but ask the leads, they might be able to wing it that day.
NVUS Leaders/Teachers Led Songs:
- Typically out of The Society song books — most common are Fox on the Run, Shady Grove, Molokai Slide, 5 foot 2, The Lion Sleeps Tonight, NVUS Banana Boat Song, My Little Grass Shack, and Under the Boardwalk, to name a few
- Lesson Exercise Songs — could be any one of the songs used in group lessons. These are usually found in the NVUS Jams Catalog
- Same as Society Member Led Songs — see above.
Key to jams — Keep it simple, simple, simple; and play, play, play — and most of all
Bookings are closed for this event.
- Bob Gibson
- Moses Kamai
- Mary Kay Stine
- Larry and Linda Burke
- Sandy O'Shea
- Pat Joyner
- David Bartell
- Brian Owsenek
- Alan Cyr
- Jennifer Thompson
- Shima Vosti
- John King
- Rebecca Eng
- Marianne Bernhard
- Walter Lazear
On my way back from the west coast… see y’all in the afternoon!
I was unable to sign up for this event …