Date(s) - 02/25/2018
4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Number of Attendees: 16
This is a regular monthly meeting; so, come one, come all — beginners, too. RSVP early or as soon as you know you can make it.
NVUS Song books are online in our file folders. These are arrangements specifically for NVUS use at jams and performances.
- Admin/Announcements: We will try to do admin (like go over uke fest and upcoming concerts, workshops, etc.) at the very beginning; and a reminder at the end.
- Society members led songs: Make sure you bring copies up to the front table that is reserved for the NVUS jam leader and sound lead. Minimum copies should be around 15 (~1 per table). Ideally, 1 per person. Optimally, 75% of those who RSVP’d. Remember to post your song to the Society files (“Monthly Jams Folder”).
- Signature songs: Will be played some time during the entire jams meeting. In general, you can count on Sweet Wahine being the last song we play. Since every one is warmed up and bashfulness tossed aside, should get more solo players, right?
Society Member Led Songs:
- Know your song enough — this isn’t lessons but a jam session. Also, you “CAN” just jump into a song, but a well led song has generally 3 parts: An Intro, The song, and the ending/outro. Think about and give attending advanced and intermediate members a chance to solo in your song — if you’re comfortable with it.
- Help your fellow members — announce the key, progression if you know it, strum if you can describe it (e.g. Calypso/Do Wop – DxDUxUDU, etc).
- Help for You — There are always some brave Society members who would help, if you ask. If you want back up (UBass, Fills/Breaks, Harmony singing), it would be nice for you to pre-coordinate — but ask the leads, they might be able to wing it that day.
NVUS Leaders/Teachers Led Songs:
- Typically out of The Society song books — most common are Fox on the Run, Shady Grove, Molokai Slide, 5 foot 2, The Lion Sleeps Tonight, NVUS Banana Boat Song, My Little Grass Shack, and Under the Boardwalk, to name a few
- Lesson Exercise Songs — could be any one of the songs used in group lessons. These are usually found in the NVUS Jams Catalog
- Same as Society Member Led Songs — see above.
Key to jams — Keep it simple, simple, simple; and play, play, play — and most of all
Bookings are closed for this event.
- Bob Gibson
- Cynthia Hull
- Larry and Linda Burke
- David Bartell
- Quang Tran
- Carol Dexter
- Sandy O'Shea
- Kevin Hearle
- Linda B.
- Audrey J. Adair
- Annette Delgado
- Alan Cyr
- Katherine McNamee
Because I’ll be out of town next week at the Palm Springs Ukulele Festival with the Luongo Ukulele Experience (LUE) Ensemble, please email me your jam song lead sheets as early as you can. I will have my laptop with me but I don’t know my exact rehearsal and performance schedule.
One song lead sheet is upload already for David Bartell. I will prefix all lead sheets for this month’s jams with [20180225 NVUS Jams.][song file name]. If you don’t already send to me in MS Word format, I will create the lead sheet into a PDF for site storage. I would prefer the songs in MS Word, so, if your song should be selected to be added to our song book, the MS Word format will ease our conversion process to Society standard layout.